Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Automatic for the people - Native's quest for what you want next

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 craigtempo

craigtempo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

ive only just recently bought a mariner 12 and one thing that came to mind straight away was that the ruder control scrapes against the side of the chair. is this just my yak or a design fault ? craig

#22 oakweb

oakweb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

I like the discussion here:)

#23 livelybaits

livelybaits

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

Mine has plenty of clearance.

#24 senioryakker

senioryakker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

I also like the idea of a pedal powered Manta Ray or similar design hull. I tried the Propel and didn't care for the pedal positioning, too high for us long legged guys to pedal and comfortably cast. Maybe something more in line with that "other brand" pedal boat?

#25 Walleyecetcher

Walleyecetcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Manta 14 Love my Manta. Things i would change: The round hatch behind the seat is pretty much useless, maybe extend the tank well or put in a larger hatch. Thats about the only thing i would change, great boat.

#26 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

Love my Manta. Things i would change:

The round hatch behind the seat is pretty much useless, maybe extend the tank well or put in a larger hatch.

Thats about the only thing i would change, great boat.

How about changing the hatch so it is totally open...a large oval right on through the hull...add a drop in basket bait tank with oval hatch cover. Can be converted to non-perforated, insulated drop in to serve as a cooler or catch storage.

#27 silverback13

silverback13

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

the more i think about it i want a deuce coupe in camo that has the groove track system from bow to stern. make it so that its usefull as a single or a tandem as a serious fishing kayak. it would be the best fast moving river boat and the most versitle SOT fishing kayak ever. i bought a coupe for my wife and ever since i took it out one day i love the little boat im thinking about buying a deuce coupe for me but i want it in a sand, olive or even better a camo color. i really think this boat would sale because its so versitle, manuverable, and has a 500lb compacity. you realy get alot for your money with a coupe

#28 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

I agree...they could do some serious brainstorming with those in the know and make a few deck changes so the boat could take a first class seat and captains chair as an option...the result would be one serious river fishing machine.

#29 Bud_B

Bud_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

I have a suggestion for an addition to the Propel drive. I fish year round and didn't much like it the first time I had to reach my arm into 40-something degree water to line up the prop before I raised the drive. I added a lineup mark behind the pedal arm as shown in the photo below. There is a bit of backlash in the drive's gears, so you have to be cranking the pedal in the right direction when you line the mark up, but it works every time for lining up the prop before I raise the drive. I no longer have to reach my arm into the water to line it up. Native should etch a lineup mark like this on every new Propel drive.

Posted Image

#30 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

That's interesting Bud. We talked about having an indicator but since the gear ratio is slightly off a true 1:10 cycle it wouldn't line up the same 100% of the time. Important thing is it's working for you and I'll try it. Thanks for sharing! -Philip

#31 Bud_B

Bud_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hmmmm, that's strange. If the gear ratio isn't a 1:some-whole-number, it shouldn't work at all. Are you sure that ratio didn't change somewhere along the way? Mine is a brand new drive (the easy cruz upgrade wouldn't fit my old drive, so Native replaced it).

#32 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

To the best of my knowledge it's never changed. Was your drive the initial two piece, head to cross tube model? -Philip

#33 Bud_B

Bud_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

To the best of my knowledge it's never changed. Was your drive the initial two piece, head to cross tube model?
-Philip

My old drive was the two piece. My new one is one piece. I never tried marking the old drive. I've been out a lot more this winter, and decided to give it a try just after getting the new one.

#34 Garrett

Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

I would like to see the rear deck on the Mariner a little thicker so it doesn't ride low with a cooler. I would like to see a better list of accessories. Were can I find the Mariner bow bag that Philip has? Small accessories would be nice, like extra shear pins and replacement plug and play clips. The two holes under the seat are not at a location that would drain well. Do they have another purpose? The boat is great and I'm trying get my wife loving it so I can get her one too.

#35 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

The Mariner bow bag has been discontinued. Get Outdoors may have a few leftover but it has been replaced by the Medium fish bag which actually is easier to open while in the boat. It fits the Mariner and in the bow of Ultimates so it does double duty, although it's just one large compartment, foil lined, fish fin puncture resistant. http://www.shopgetou...ish-bag-md.html

Additional shear pins, prop, and plug n' play clips are all available through your local dealer or Get Outdoors.

The false scuppers under the seat are actually plugged and are for hull stiffening, not water drainage.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it,
Philip

#36 Bud_B

Bud_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

That's interesting Bud. We talked about having an indicator but since the gear ratio is slightly off a true 1:10 cycle it wouldn't line up the same 100% of the time.

I took the time to check my Propel drive today. Its gearing is a 10:1 ratio, exactly. That's explains why my mark has worked perfectly the four fishing trips I've made since I put it there. A lineup mark works on the new drives.

#37 oswaldo

oswaldo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

The Mariner needs to have the seat mounting points moved forward appx 1" 2.45cm to allow for shorter people, when the seat is completely forward it is not supported by the rear hold downs.. just a suggestion!!

#38 yakattaxx83

yakattaxx83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have the Mariner 12.5 and for the most part Im very pleased. My main problem has been the fluttering that happens when I have to push the propel drive a little harder in incoming/outgoing tides or running back to the ramp to get out of an approching thunderstorm. I would like to see a stainless steel prop upgrade for saltwater to reduce/eliminate the prop fluttering. As for the seat rubbing the rudder handle, Im a shortlegged peddler myself and I removed the strap that keeps the seat from sliding back and I put it on the inside of the seat frame and I gained 3/4" and I dont rub anymore so maybe making the rudder handle not so thick would help us shortlegged peddlers out lol. Brad

#39 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

I have the Mariner 12.5 and for the most part Im very pleased. My main problem has been the fluttering that happens when I have to push the propel drive a little harder in incoming/outgoing tides or running back to the ramp to get out of an approching thunderstorm. I would like to see a stainless steel prop upgrade for saltwater to reduce/eliminate the prop fluttering. As for the seat rubbing the rudder handle, Im a shortlegged peddler myself and I removed the strap that keeps the seat from sliding back and I put it on the inside of the seat frame and I gained 3/4" and I dont rub anymore so maybe making the rudder handle not so thick would help us shortlegged peddlers out lol. Brad

Brad, the new EZ Cruz prop blades are thicker, all the way to the tips, making them much stiffer. The lower pitched blades offer higher efficiency and less torque required at top speeds. As hard and as fast as I can pedal I can't get it to fluter.

-Phillip

#40 yakattaxx83

yakattaxx83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Brad, the new EZ Cruz prop blades are thicker, all the way to the tips, making them much stiffer. The lower pitched blades offer higher efficiency and less torque required at top speeds. As hard and as fast as I can pedal I can't get it to fluter.

-Phillip

Thanks for the heads up on the EZ Cruz Phillip. Im definantly gonna get me the upgrade for the propel drive. Im not looking to gain speed just reduce/stop the fluttering and the EZ Cruz looks to do just that. Thanks Brad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users