Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with seat brackets on Marvel 12

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

I've had had a new Marvel 12 for about three weeks. My prior experience is with a Tarpon 120 SOT but it is so heavy I wanted a lighter weight boat. I was fishing and leaning over the side to get something out of the water (unfortunately not a fish) and something "cracked." Paddling back downstream I noticed my seat was crooked and the crack that I heard was the front part of the left side plastic bracket cracking away from the bolt. I straightened my seat and kept paddling with a little more pressure on my foot pads and the right hand side bracket did the same thing! By the time I got back to shore both brackets were destroyed. They were only attached with a bolt through the brackets and a lock nut--no washer or anything--so with a little pressure the plastic brackets just pulled off the bolts. Fortunately, my husband got some super glue, and some washers from the tackle shop, and got it to hold back together for two more days on the lake. Native is sending new brackets and we will install them with good-sized washers to help distribute the weight, or maybe even get something a little more substantial made. BTW, I am NOT a large person, am pretty fit, and don't just crash into the seat when getting in, or struggle getting out. Has anyone else had this problem? My dealer indicated that there should have been washers, or something, between the plastic and the lock nut so any new Marvel owners might want to check that. I sent pictures which were forwarded on to Native. Other than this problem, I love the Marvel, but will keep my SOT as a spare.

#2 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

Sorry to hear about that problem. I looked at mine and yes there are washers in that area between the plastic bracket and the hull.Then the black latches on the other side between you and the seat brackets hold very firmly on mine. The washers are not big but I have paddled hard in mine the last two years and no problems. I'm about 195 lbs. I bet what Native sends you will solve the problem. Keep us posted. I love my marvel 12. Great boat!

#3 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

Sounds like someone just dropped the ball when installing the brackets. When you say "black latches between me and the seat brackets" do you mean that little flip over lever that holds the seat in place? I don't seem to have anything else. I also still haven't figured out how to put the seat in the farthest back position. I hope what I receive in the mail is different than what was on the yak from the factory. I have another minor flaw in that the thigh pads were not installed an equal distance from the center of the front of the boat and it showed up when we put a Marvel deck on. The desk touches, actually overlaps, the thigh pad on the right hand side and lacks about an inch on the left-hand side. More of a cosmetic flaw than anything but annoying. I'll have to check and make sure it wasn't a factory second. As to the seat, I had paddled hard for two days on the James River and then one day on a calm lake with no problems. Thanks for the feedback.

#4 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

Yes! I'm talking about the lever things you mentioned. That is annoying about the thigh pads. I'd be talking to a rep or someone about it. As for the seat position the only way I can get it in the highest position or farthest back or angled is to raise it then put the seat in the marvel. It that's not what you're talking about then you must be talking about completely putting the seat back all the way down to lounge??? If so loosen the straps/buckles to allow it to recline. Hope that helps.

#5 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

Those little levers are fine. I am annoyed about the thigh pads and have pictures. Maybe I will send them to Native but what are they going to do? It's only obvious because I installed the cockpit deck and we were very careful to have it tight around the edges of the cockpit so I know it's the thigh pads. The other annoying thing is that the holes in the deck are drilled too far to the outer edge and when you drill the yak to match you can't get the locknut that they supply to fit underneath. We had to improvise and it looks o.k. If I had it to do over, I would probably just buy a piece of lucite and make my own deck attached underneath the rim, but what I have is fine for now and I'm getting off the subject of the seat. Sorry. I do like the Marvel very much.

#6 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

I put the seat in at its highest setting yesterday. It does take some muscle to make it happen. Unfortunately I hyper-extended my thumb when I tried to force the bracket out to make space for the lever to flip down. It is really tight in there. I could flip one of the levers down and then once I sat in the chair, it all kind of clicked into place and I could then flip the other lever into place. It looks like I'm gonna be typing nine fingered for a while though.

#7 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

The new brackets came yesterday and we installed today. The brackets have not changed but we did receive 4 plastic washers and 4 metal washers. Amazingly enough, the Superglue and metal washers that my husband was able to get at the tackle shop were still holding on the brackets that had broken! I'm afraid to try putting my seat in any position other than the lowest for fear of putting too much strain on the brackets but that is tough material and the failure was undoubtedly due to the original installation not including washers between the lock nut and the bracket. I'm not sure that a higher position would accomplish all that much--seems like it would tilt the seat rather than raise it? I'll have to look more closely.

#8 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

Yes it does just tilt the seat although I find that makes a major difference in the comfort level. To me it depends on how far forward I have the seat back adjusted. Try sitting on it out of the boat in its various positions. That should give you a good idea on which position is the most comfortable. I don't know that I'd really want to raise the entire seat bottom as it would certainly change the stability of the boat for the worse. That bracket material is tough as all get out and I'm sorry you have had these problems.

#9 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

I would not worry about the brackets. As Seer says they are pretty tough. I do understand the concern. The first time I took it to the highest or tilted level I thought they seemed a little flimsy but stronger than they appear. You do have to rangle them in. I don't even give it a thought now. I keep mine in that position and just adjust the back angle as needed. I find it better on my back which is the main reason I bought a Native was for the 1st class seat. Oh man, I can sit in it all day. Any news on the misaligned thigh pads???

#10 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We're going out on the river tomorrow and I may try changing the seat position a little; however, I remove the seat for transporting to lose 7 pounds so that means I would have to wrangle it every time. Will have to see if it's worth it. As to the thigh pads, I have not spoken to anyone about them other than on this forum. I may try to attach a photo, if I can figure out how, and maybe I can get some input from forum members. I am 99.9 percent sure that the deck is installed tight against the rim of the cockpit because we were very careful when we installed it. We did have some difficulty installing the deck because the holes in the deck are so near the outside rim of the yak that we couldn't get the lock nuts underneath on the two holes that they were supplied for. We tried holding with needle nose pliers, sticking them up there with goop, but we just couldn't get them far enough to the outside to get the bolt to grab so we had to use slightly smaller diameter nuts. I'm thinking I have a Monday morning boat (nothing to do with the deck installation problem and it was just a work around.) The thigh pad issue should probably be another topic? It's cosmetic and the only way I can see to remedy it is to remove one and reinstall with new holes but it would bother me to have to drill more holes in my yak because of a factory issue. Well, my image doesn't have a URL so I'll have to figure that out later.

#11 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Liquid Logic has a semi-forum on Facebook. I'm mentioning this because the president of Native Watercraft/Liquid Logic is participating in that on a daily basis. http://www.facebook....=app_2373072738 I'd really like to see those picts here, but if anyone can help you out with this issue I'd put my money on Shane over there.

#12 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

okay....here's a link that should bring up four photos on Shutterfly. Hopefully, it won't bring up my whole life!

On the thigh pads, you can see on the left side there is about 3/4 inch gap between the pad and the deck and on the right side the deck has to overlap the thigh pad.

I also included the pictures of the broken seat bracket, caused I'm sure by the lack of a washer between the lock nut and the bracket. All fixed now!

http://marvel12.shut...ly.com/pictures

#13 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

The link didn't come up.

#14 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

http://marvel12.shut...ly.com/pictures

I still had this on my clipboard and it looks like the right one :)

An option for attachments doesn't come up for me. All I have is "insert image" which requires a URL, "insert link" which was active but looks like you might have to copy and paste now, and "insert video." I looked at some very old posts and hit "reply" just as a test, and an attachment icon came up.

How do I post photos without uploading them to another site first? I will make this a separate item if someone doesn't jump in and help me. Oh, WAIT! I just clicked on "go advanced" and everything appeared. I will try an attachment if this link doesn't work. Good grief.

Hopefully, you can copy just what you need out of my "link" depending on what it look like when it posts:(

#15 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

As to my request for help on posting photos, I clicked on "go advanced" and a whole lot of additional options appeared--including attachments! Good grief, sorry to be so dense. If "go advanced" is all I need, I think I can handle it in the future. I hope.

#16 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Wow! I had things pictured different in my mind where to breaks in the brackets were. I thought they were by the lever lock on the sides not on the top. Wow that is bad isn't it? I see the mentioned miss positioning of ther thigh pads also. That would bother me and surprises me that it would leave the shop that way. Hope that can be resolved for you. Glad they sent new brackets!

#17 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

Really! That's some major damage! Between that and the thigh pads, I would be back at the shop demanding some lifetime warranty type of satisfaction. I look at the quality and excellent setup of mine and compare it to yours and I can't believe it left the factory that way, much less the shop. I applaud you trying to work through this on your own, but.... I think I'd be making some loud noises to LL and the shop you bought this from by now.

#18 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

The brackets were pretty major. I can see it, maybe, if a 300# guy (or gal) launched themselves into the seat but I am not a heavy-weight and somewhat graceful:) Most of the time. Can you believe my husband actually used Superglue and then washers to do a temporary fix and it held? That's another reason I'm a little afraid to muscle that seat into a raised position in the front. I do now have it up to the rear grove in the bottom and am anxious to see if it makes a difference. The thigh pad issue was not really evident until we put the cockpit deck on. The guy that was helping us at Get Outdoors saw it when I was looking at it in the store but I didn't make an issue because all my accessories had already been installed. Being too nice, I guess. That's why I say I think I got a Monday morning boat. The brackets are replaced, now with washers, and there are already holes for the cockpit deck and the thigh pads so what would warranty do? A new yak? Plus, we live 2-1/2 hours away from the shop. I sent pictures to Will but I was at a lake for four days and having data problems so not sure all the pictures went through. I guess I should send them again and see what he thinks can be done. Thanks for the feedback. Now I guess you know why I'm a little upset. Thanks for the support.

#19 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Talked with Will at GO, by e-mail. He was very responsive and tried calling me several times. He is more than willing to fix the thigh pad issue on my yak. I just have to find the time to get it down there and go shopping for however long it takes to plug the holes and reinstall. I have since put the seat in the highest position and it really wasn't that difficult but seems a lot more comfortable. Have also installed some cockpit bags that I think will take care of my storage problems for small, water proof, items. Hoping to get out tomorrow or next day and try everything out again. I'm a happy camper now. Hope everyone made it through the hurricane without damage or major loss.

#20 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

They will fix the thigh pad issue. Good for you! Makes one feel better with some good ole customer servicce and support! Glad it's all working out. Enjoy that great yak!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users