Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Marvel 12 Capabilities?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Anyone out there really tried to push a Marvel 12 to its limits yet? There's so much information out there about every boat but the Marvel. Has anyone tried a Class III with one? There's a lot of nice water around here and it'd be great to be able to do all of it with just one boat (can't afford another one) once I get some more experience under my belt.

#2 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hello Seer I have a Marvel 12 and have over nighted on the Jacks For river in mo. Class I and II. I had it loaded down with everything I need. Tent. Sleeping pad and bag, extra clothes food etc. all under deck to boot. So pleanty of storage. Ebven more carrying capacity if latching on top deck, which I hate to do. I like streamline. As to your question about Class III. I would imagine alot of water would come in with the large cockpit. I have been in one area of class III water on the James river here in mo. during higher water levels. Alot of water came in the boat but it did fine. Now long runs of this would accumulate water and bailing would be needed. I stopped after and sponged out a fair amount of water. If one had the half skirt of the full skirt you could probably do alright in that regard. As for handling and control of a 12 foot yak in Class III water I have no experience in that matter. My short set of rapids I mentioned earlier I kept her straight and she shot on through but it was a straight run and a drop not in a turn or with obstacles. I have rafted in co and I can imagine you might encounter boulders etc in your area???? Just speculating. I have no idea what water you plan to navigate. I would imagine a level of skill would be needed to accomodate faster water and staying out of trouble but again I'm just speculating on this issue. Maybe somone else has a review on these conditions. Hope that helped some. I love my Marvel. I also have a Ultimate 12 which I would not take in class III being an open boat, even with the skirts I have. Maybe someone else has a good word on that boat as well. Regards, let us know what you wind up doing.

#3 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Yak,
I did buy a full skirt and yes there is a boulder or two out on our rivers. This year I'm just getting used to the Marvel as it's the first kayak I've ever spent much time in. I'm staying to the lakes which can get interesting with 30-35 mph winds that constantly shift direction. So far I'm impressed with the speed, stability and maneuverability of this craft. It outdoes my kayaking buddy's Pungo 120 in all of those areas. She says the Pungo's seat is more comfortable (and it is very nice) but no, it's not. I'm planning on getting some lessons, a bilge pump and being much more adventurous next year.

As far as your Ultimate goes, here's a link to a vid of some crazy guy going down Lava Falls in a regular canoe. The Colorado River uses a 1-10 designation as opposed to the regular class I-V because it can get really crazy. Lava Falls is rated 8-10 depending on the flow. If this canoe can make it through that, I would think the Ultimate would do it. Again, it would depend a great deal on the skill and sanity level of the person sitting in there. Hope it's okay to post a youtube link here.
Have a great day,
Tom

#4 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Seer Thanks for the cool vid! I see that guy had extra floatation in his canoe. I have seen on this site an ultimate with floatation added front and back. I wonder how it would do? I'm with you. I cannot see how any other seat can be more comfortable than a Native but I guess is personal and subjective. With my back and butt I will choose Natives 1st class seat everytime. I can go all day in one. Have done other yaks for shorter periods and they are not as comfortable for me. I do like the Pungo. Very nice yak. I really love both my Natives. I just finished a camera mount so now on to mounting some scottys in strategic places on both yaks. Then the search is on for a waterproof camera with full HD. Gotta run. Hope it's cool there in Co. It was 109 degrees in the shade here in Springfield, mo today. So hot latley for so long with no rain in sight and the the rivers are so low they're unfloatable and I'm gettin cranky! ;-) Regards, Yakmang…(Chaz)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users