Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Rudder Help?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

Another question: The two screws that hold the rudder bracket? to the bow keep coming lose. Do you think it would it be okay to apply a dab of Loctite to each of them to help them stay tight?

#2 rmt328

rmt328

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

More Rudder Help I've had the same problem on my 14.5 Ultimate propel. But I'm a little more in the dark. I've lost one screw completely and I can't figure out how to the foam ballast out of the stern so I can replace the screw and nut. I also was wondering about loctite. It would be helpful if Native had a schematic on their kayaks with part numbers in the owner's manual section. Maybe then I could figure out how to remove the foam in the stern without ripping it. I really don't want to hear I have to bring the boat in to a dealer for repair. If an administrator is monitoring these posts, any suggestions or directions on removing the foam? Applying loctite?

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

Just to clarify, there are two versions of rudder brackets, one (newer) that mounts to molded-in nuts on the stern hull edge and the older style, which bolted through the sides of the stern. For the molded-in style there should be a split lock washer between the bolt and nut. IF you can't get it tight enough a small dab of non-permanent loctite should be OK. If your dealer is in close proximity I would take advantage of your warranty service and have them take care of you. If not and you want to remove the foam yourself note that there are two sections of foam in the stern, a face, which you see and a vertical section that runs from top to bottom. The face is glued to the vertical section in the middle. If you force your fingers underneath at the bottom of the hull you should be able to grip the backside of the foam and slowly pull it away from the center column. You may get some slight surface tearing at the glued contact point but it can be put back together. Liberal amounts of Lexel adhesive is recommended to re-attach. Hope this helps, Philip

#4 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Phillip! Mine mounts to the edge of the stern so I'm guessing it's the newer style. I was a little concerned after reading rmt328's post about pulling the screws all the way out, but now it doesn't sound like that will be any problem. Mine didn't come with lock washers so I'm thinking I'll install a couple of those as well as a dab of Loctite. Hopefully that'll take care of things. Thanks again, Tom

#5 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

I've now gone on five adventures since putting the blue Loctite on the rudder screws. On the last one, I was drafting in a lot of six inch water often not raising the rudder (murky water) before I would go over it. That Loctite on the threads did the trick. The screws are just as tight as when I put them in. Before I would have to tighten the screws after every trip. Good stuff that Loctite.

#6 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

That's good to hear. I need to check mine. I don't ever check them but also don't ever use the rudder. I keep thinking one day I'm going to get a big kite and sail the thing and would need a rudder then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users