Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

'08 Magic 14.5

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 domo

domo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have been looking for a new yak for awhile and after going back and forth on a Tarpon 140 vs Manta Ray 14 I found a new Magic 14.5 for sale. The store has an '08 model still in stock on sale for $999. My problem is that I have heard that there has been some issues with a very large percentage of the older hulls cracking by the rivets on the plug n' play rails on those kayaks where the seat plugged into the rails. So my question is how common is this and did anyone come up with a fix to take the stress off the rail? Thanks

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

The way the seat attached was changed, I believe in '09. Instead of utilizing the plug 'n play slots for clipping in the seat tabs were added to the floor that the seat pan slides into. Adjustable straps attach from the foot rests to the seat. This seems to have remedied the stress put on the rivets over the slots. -Philip

#3 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

I have 2 of them and I see the cracks at the end of the rails where the foot pegs plug in. I noticed that on the Mariner line the rails are actually small individual bars...possibly suggesting a difference in the way the aluminum rail and the plastic hull expand and contract in heat changes. I came up with this because one hull was never used and didn't have any seat or foot pegs in it...just the hull and aluminum rails all stored outside. When I find the time, I'm going to post up a step by step on repairing the cracks. There are several methods for this. On one hull, I'm going to cut down the full length rails and make them into individual bars like what is used on the Mariner line...then see between the 2 hulls how the repairs last over time and use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users