Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

First trip in the Magic!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nraycroft

nraycroft

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

I have owned several Manta Rays and Ultimates over the past couple of years, all the while keeping an eye on the Magic. Having bought from Hook, Line and Paddle in Wilmington, NC in years past, Ryan there knew I had always talked about getting one and that I was a "potential buyer" anytime he laid his hands on one. About a month ago, I got a call letting me know that they had located one and asked he asked if I was interested. Knowing these had been discontinued, I jumped at the chance and am now the proud owner of a Magic 14.5 Tandem in Blue (Blue Thunder as my kids named it!) After a couple or rough weeks at work and rough weather, I finally had a chance to get out on the water with my favorite little girl on this earth, my beautiful daugher Brooklyn. We piled in the truck and headed to Queen's Creek to get as much protection from the remaining high winds on Sunday. It's just a short drive there and with plans later in the afternoon, it was the best option for a quick local trip. After paddling and standing/poling around in the wind, we stopped and had lunch under a big shade tree (highlight of the day) and just enjoyed the father-daughter time together. After lunch, we had about 10 minutes to get back to the launch in order to make it to my son's soccer game on time. Wouldn't you know, the winds started to die down and the tide turned to an incoming tide...prime fishing conditions and we had to get off the water:(. Anway, Brooklyn realized it was "calmer" out and wanted to paddle. I handed the paddle forward and pulled out a rod and started fishing again. With the second cast, I hooked a healthy 15" flounder in about 2' of water and we watched that fish skirt along the bottom to and from the boat, leaving a mud trail behind him the whole way. Brooklyn swiftly reached behind her seat and grabbed the net and with one swoop, netted the fish safely for a photo shoot! We unhooked the flounder, took a couple of pictures and let it go about it's day. On the paddle in, Brooklyn was looking for reassurance on her performance with the net. "Didn't I do good with the net, Dad?" I replied, as one proud father, "You did excellent, Brooklyn, best netting I've seen in a long time!" She smiled and said "Thanks, Daddy!", crushing this young "old man's" heart! I hope this post encourages everyone who reads it to spend more time with their kids, and if possible, on the water introducing them to kayak fishing! My kids both thoroughly enjoy it, and these short moments of time are that which I'll never forget. Thanks for reading... Nathan

#2 PhotoFish

PhotoFish

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

Great story, and what fun to have your kids involved in the outdoors. But, I thought we might here someting about how the Magic compated with your other craft..... Your daughter looks like she had a great time, as well as Dad!

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Beautiful story Nathan, we should get the kids together for a camp/fish on Bear before it gets too hot & buggy. -Philip

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

You'll love the boat...so will the rest of your family. Mine does...
Posted Image

#5 waterlove

waterlove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

Great post and pics! You're right, these are the moments you and your kids will remember!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users