Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

transducer mounting...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

i was wondering if anyone has mounted a transducer on a VB...i was thinking of either doing a through hull in the back near to the skeg, or hanging a tranducer of the back next to the wheel...what have you guys done? what works?

#2 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

Am i the only crack head who wants to mount a sounder to a VB?

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

I haven't done it, mainly because where I use mine I can usually see bottom as long as the waters clear. If I was considering it I might look at a suction cup mount or removing the wheel and using the molded in nuts as a mount point so it could easily be removed if I didn't need it. Either way would not require perforating the hull for display cables which on such a slim profile craft would seem to be a good thing - less chance of water intrusion. Let us know what you decide, don't know if anyone has done this on a VB, Philip

#4 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hmm...thats my major concern, is how to run the cable within the hull. a hatch in the front would be ideal to help get the cable through. Sinking the boat just to have a sounder worries me too. thats why i was hoping somoene else had done the hard work for me...lol i was thinking of using something like the below to run the cable THOUGH the hull near the track system. just dont know if i can get up there...

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

I use thru-hull ports from West Marine. They're a two-part port, rubber gasket and plastic cap that screws down over it. I lexel the rubber part down and only screw the three tiny screws right into the hull. The port hole opening seals up well with lexel. Haven't had any leaks on other hulls. http://www.westmarin...&classNum=11106

#6 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

for some reason my link didnt come up...lets try this again.

altho the one you posted is much more low profile.

http://www.westmarin...&classNum=11106

#7 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

I've seen your link but never used that style. One thing that may be an advantage to the style I linked is the cable comes out almost at a 90º, keeping a lower profile as well.

#8 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

i kinda like the one you use because its more low profile. Sealing with nothing but lexel concerns me...btu we will see...i may go to west in person to look at both units and see what works (or just buy both and take it from there...lol)

#9 plskiracing

plskiracing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Did you end up doing this? i can't for the life of me figure out how im going to do it

#10 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

If you want a more permanent seal use the quick dry version of 3M 5200.

#11 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

Did you end up doing this? i can't for the life of me figure out how im going to do it

nope, never got around to it, and probibly wont for a while. First i moved into a new house, then once i got my feet under me irene flooded the new house, then once i got my feet under me the deck that the PO put in has started to collapse...so yea dont hold your breath.

However i did plan everything out and make sure i have access to each point i would need...so i have a carefully laid plan should the finances ever become available.

Boykinsbuddy - i love 5200, but IMO its too permanent for something like this...transducers eventually break...

#12 plskiracing

plskiracing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

that's brutal, best of luck. Would you mind sharing those plans, or what components to use?

#13 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

There really isnt too much to share, the transducer gets mounted just to the side and infront of the skeg in the area thats nice and flat...pretty easy to access through the rear hatch. i was gonna attach it using lexel like i did the one in the ultimate. you then feed the wire to the front of the boat through the skeg mechanism access port amid ships. you mount a camshell like yak4fish posted filled again with lexel after the wire is run through. The camshell gets mounted in the flat area just behind and towards midline of the lever (you can get your hand in there if you have a wife with small hands). the wire gets secured to the gunnel of the boat with those plastic wire holders on screws (you put them in, then take them back out, fill the holes with lexel then replace them...makes them more waterproof. finnaly you mount the display either to the center track, or mount it with well nuts just to the right of the track (that was my plan)...

#14 rgramjet

rgramjet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Ug, this transducer mounting dilemma is frustrating!

#15 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Mine is through hull right at the skeg. Option two would be a scupper plug. Third option which I don't like would be a suction cup or over the side mount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users