Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Paddles for VB

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

So what paddles are you guys using for VB's? I have a native poling/paddle that i was planning on using for the boat atleast in the interum...and a kayak paddle from my u14.5 that im gonna use. but i would like to get a nice SUP paddle. I was thinking one from SUPATX carbon for 150ish, but wanted to know what others were using. I tend to like wood paddles when possible but CF looks killer too.

#2 TNtrout

TNtrout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

I am fan of Whiskeyjack paddles which are handcrafted wooden paddles. Danny and Barb are great folks and the product is absolute first quality. Werner makes nice stuff and I also like the Kialoa Hinelea which is adjustable...very cool for multiple users to get a proper lenght and fit for their paddle. The Kialoa and Whiskeyjack will occasionally show up for use in my guide service...all good stuff! Jeff Wilson Clear View Water Sports Nashville, TN Native Watercraft Endorsed Guide Service for Middle TN

#3 Flytyingyaker

Flytyingyaker

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

I use my Native push/paddle pole 100% of the time while standing when I sit I just use my accent paddle. But I am always shallow.

When I take my Osceola paddle board I too use Whisky Jack I have the tall boy.

http://www.whiskeyja...les_tallboy.asp

These paddles are very high quality. They are beautiful.

#4 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

yea those WJP are killer...a bit out of my price range. I may stick with my native paddle and save up my pennies. I like the deuce paddle...since i use mostly bent paddles for my u14.5

#5 Flytyingyaker

Flytyingyaker

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

I was just looking at their site again and saw The Deuce that is a new paddle for them. I think I am going to go ahead and order that. It is beautiful.

#6 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

yea the double bend is killer...i want. if you wanna sell your tall boy cheap i may be convinced...lol

#7 rgramjet

rgramjet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Bought a versa board a couple weeks ago. Maiden voyage will be this Saturday, weather permitting. I'm surprised noone has mentioned the Carlisle Taboo paddle. Comes with an interchangeable paddle and two handles for stand up use. I am a new to the sport but feel that the versatility of the Taboo outweighs its clunkiness/weight. Anyone else use the Taboo?

#8 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

At this point i have a super light weight CF kayak paddle and a sup atx SUP paddle (also light weight) that i use on my VB. IMO clunky is almost never worth it, you will waste energy moving a heavy paddle, and if there are lots of joints in the paddle they will also suck up energy. A good paddle is worth its weight in gold...and its worth having the right paddle for the job at any given time.

#9 rgramjet

rgramjet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

I agree with having the right paddle for the right job. For my needs the taboo works very well for both stand up and sit down roles. Sure a super light, one piece cf stand up paddle is sweet if all you are doing is standing up. I like to stand up and sit down depending on the water/wind/fishing conditions. There's no way I'm shlepping 2 complete paddles. It would be great if they came out with a cf taboo! The thought of hitting a rock with cf makes me wince.

#10 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

I do shlep two paddles...lol. I usually leave the kayak paddle in the build in holder and tuck the SUP paddle under the bungees...other than that i travel light 1-2 rods and a small tackle folder and my fishing vest...maybe a lunch cooler with a drink/snack. Because of that two paddles become fairly easy to do. In the end its what works for you and gets you out on the water.

as far as rocks go i havent had any issues with pushing off rocks with the CF. As long as its a quality paddle it should be able to take it. the aquabound that i use has reinforced blades so that hitting rocks is less of a concern.

Hopefully ill be going out today if i can get my yardwork done early and ill take some pics of the boat rigged so you can see how i do it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 rgramjet

rgramjet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

Nice! I've got a crate on the back of mine. Will post pics tomorrow. Caught a 30lb catfish on a spinner bait! Other than the endless headwinds, it was a perfect day on the river!

#12 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

that is of course my freshwater rigging, i also rig it for fly with even less gear, and saltwater with heavier gear...but thats my lake setup.

#13 rgramjet

rgramjet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

Posted Image

SUP handle is in the middle rod holder. I now have splash guards so maybe I wont get so wet while paddling.

#14 rgramjet

rgramjet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

Me and my maiden fishes tail! My photographer is FIRED!

#15 edluv1

edluv1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:50 PM

I have whickeyjack ocho for me and a whiskey jane for my wife. I have been looking at these as a better option than the taboo, but I can't find much information on them:

http://www.imaginesu..._product&p=2143

http://www.imaginesu...f_product&p=839

#16 GatorTrader4

GatorTrader4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

I just picked up a couple of Versa Boards a few weeks ago, and I had been using some old canoe paddles I had lying around while I debated what paddles to buy for this setup. I ran across Accent Paddles website, and found their Versa Max and Transformer paddles, both of which have interchangeable attachments for use as a SUP paddle and a Kayak paddle. I went with the slightly cheaper Versa Max paddles, and I have used them several times now with FANTASTIC results. These are not ultra high-end paddles, but they have a fiberglass shaft with durable plastic blades. The paddles are light and comfortable, and the construction is very solid. The joint for attachment is easy to use, with very tight tolerances, and seems like it will hold up very well even in my saltwater environment. I would highly recommend this setup for anyone who wants the best of both worlds without paying for and carrying around two separate paddles!

#17 GatorTrader4

GatorTrader4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

Update: After using the Accent Versa Max paddles for a few weeks (maybe five or six outings TOTAL), one of my paddle shafts split lengthwise from the c-clip to the open end of the shaft. This occurred while using the paddle in its kayak configuration (two blades) and I presume that the shorter interior length of the kayak blade attachment did not provide enough support to withstand the torque generated when paddling. The split is not "with the grain" of the fibers, instead it literally ripped the fibers in two along a nearly straight line parallel to the paddle shaft. I was VERY surprised that it tore in this manner. Knowing that they are covered for manufacturer defects for one year from the date of purchase, I contacted Accent. To add insult to injury, Accent Paddles, in their infinite wisdom, has required me to return all three parts at my own expense. Not only will I have to come out of pocket to pay for the shipping, but I will be stuck without a paddle (no pun intended) for however long it takes them to get back to me (I have been making do with a rough Duck Tape repair job in the interim). And the worst part of all, they stated that they will not be sending me a replacement paddle, they will be repairing and returning the damaged paddle to me. I don't mind sending back the broken paddle, and I don't begrudge a company who will attempt a repair when reasonable, but if you want to maintain a reputation for quality products and service, you should pay for shipping and replace badly damaged merchandise without question, especially when covered under a factory warranty. Long story short, I withdraw my recommendation for these paddles entirely. The product gives the appearance of quality and durability, however, the actual performance left a LOT to be desired. I expected to get one to two years minimum out of these paddles, not six uses. And Accent's customer service is non-existent. I will be sending in the broken paddle, and I will continue to use the items as long as they last or are under warranty, however, I will NEVER be buying from this company again...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users