Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Introduce yourself

• Please log in to reply
393 replies to this topic

#1 bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

My way of getting the lurkers out and talking: I am an Optometrist. I am 49 and live in West Tn. and grew up in Western Maryland. I have fished nearly all my life but took up fly fishing 2 years ago. I now fish for everything with the fly rod. My goal last summer was to catch bass on the fly rod. Well, to date that is probably about 200 bass now! I trout fish in Arkansas(world-class!!) and middle and eastern Tn. I have caught rainbows, browns, brooks, blue gill, crappie, lm bass, sm bass, rock bass and one drum on the fly rod. I have had my Ultimate 12 for about 6 months now. I love it! Roland, thanks for this Forum.

#2 Bones

Bones

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

BBW, check it out, we have one going here too:

http://www.lwnog.com...topic.php?p=746

#3 Stiles

Stiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

I'll jump in: I live in Austin, TX. Part time musician, real estate agent/ consultant and fly fisher. I don't really know how to use a spin rod. People hear me say that and think I'm joking. I've heard all the arguments about why I'll catch more fish with a spin rod - not always true, of course - but I could care less. For me, its not about catching more fish, its about deepening the experience of catching fish. I bought a U12 from Lakeline a few months ago so I could have access to more local waters for fly fishing. I used to fish from a pontoon, but it was slow, hard to haul and took too long to set up. The U12 solved all of those problems with out any loss of storage or stability. Now I just need to get my fishing buddies to buy 'em too!

#4 xrhino

xrhino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hi, I'm a 33 year single Virgo who enjoys romantic candlelight dinners, walks on the beach... Whoops! Wrong forum. I am 33, and from Wisconsin. I'm a corporate and personal chef. I work for a mid-size tech company with an on-site restaurant for the employees. I mostly fish our rivers for smallmouth bass, but do fish for basically everything we have here from time to time. As a true Scandanavian Yankee and Cheesehead, I do love my ice fishing, probably my favorite form of fishing. Northern Pike through the ice are my favorite, but I/we do try for most everything in winter as well. You haven't lived until you've chipped frozen pike slime off your hands at -30.:wink: I am more of an accomplished tyer than caster when it comes to fly fishing, but I am learning. I get the impression that I may be coming at that backwards according to a lot of folks, but a buddy taught me to tie in college, and I did it for years before ever picking up a fly rod. I tie exclusively warm water bass, pike, and panfish flies almost exclusively. My other interests include cooking (obviously), reading, music (I play most of the brass horns), the Brewers, the Packers, and hanging with my crew at various tailgate destinations/sporting events/pubs/concerts/gutters... what have you. Oh, and I pick up my (first) U14 tomorrow after work.:D

#5 a1w

a1w

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:22 AM

Good idea with this thread. I am a 25 year old male, living in Milwaukee. I am originally from Michigan, I graduated from Michigan State, moved a few times and finally ended up here in the MKE. I work for a university located downtown, and will be going to grad school shortly. I love to fish, and I love to paddle, so I love the Ultimate 14.5 that I bought. I will fish for anything, but pike are my favorite. Heading to the BWCA the end of this month to fish/camp. Nice to meet everyone on here, this forum is great.

#6 derekw

derekw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

My name is Derek, and I live in Hilton Head, SC. I own an ultimate 14.5. I am a shop foreman for a chevy and saab dealer here on the island. I fish almost daily in fresh and salt waters. I fly fish also. Enjoy my ultimate and this site. I am 40. I have lived here for 5 years.

#7 Bones

Bones

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

I'll repost this here. Greetings all! Well, at 35 years old, I am married to a wonderful woman and the proud father of two beautiful girls (3 yrs & 6 wks). I was born in South Texas but moved to Austin, Texas in 1991. I have many fond memories of fishing with my Dad as a child. It was a simple time with a couple of lawn chairs, Zebco reels, hooks, sinkers, floats and live minnows. While in my 20s I continued to enjoy fishing but my friends and I always envied those that could reach the hot spots with their big powerboats…things changed. In the late 90s, while fishing from the bank, I saw a man drag a kayak out of his truck, pack his gear and within minutes was heading down the river…I was sold. I always dreamed of running my own business and 2 years ago, I decided that owning a small boat shop was a perfect fit for me. However, it wasn’t until January 1st, 2007 that I decided to officially launch Lakeline Watersports. While we mostly focus on selling kayaks, we plan to introduce other small watercraft such as mino-pontoon boats, dinghies, duck boats and more. Most of our business is conducted through the Internet but we do have a shop in Austin, Texas. I first saw the Native line of boats at the Outdoor Retailer Expo in Utah in 2006. The boats were still in “prototype” mode but I knew they had something. I was going to bring on a few other brands (Malibu and Hurricane) but I bit the bullet and decided to go with Native instead. I never looked back. As a dealer, it is easy for me to speak highly of the products I sell but I really do believe that this is a quality brand so much that I decided to create this website. With countless questions coming at me in every direction, I figured I could bring it all into a single portal for everyone to benefit from (customer or not) and contribute to. When I am not busy with my family or business, I try to spend my free time fishing many of our local lakes and rivers but I am a saltwater fanatic…specifically the coastal flats near Port Aransas, Texas. I also enjoy playing my drums, hunting, barbecuing and watching college football. I hope to meet you in person one day but in the meantime, keep on paddling! P.S. If you are wondering, I got the nickname when I was in the 5th grade. We all decided that since we were now in Middle School, it would be to our best advantage if we had cool nicknames. Well, I ended up with "Bones"...not very cool and of course, the only one that stuck was mine. Here I am 15 years later and most of my friends and family still call me Bones. Hey, on the bright side, it is a good marketing tool because nobody forgets a name like "Bones"...so why not make the best of it? :-) Oh, I am a UT Longhorns Fan!!! 8)

#8 xrhino

xrhino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Good idea with this thread.

I am a 25 year old male, living in Milwaukee. I am originally from Michigan, I graduated from Michigan State, moved a few times and finally ended up here in the MKE.

UGH... a good-for-nothing Sparty fan. As a UW grad myself, I'm sad to say we can no longer speak. :D

On Wisconsin!

#9 Baloo314

Baloo314

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

Hey, I just bought an ultimate back in March and love it. I wish i got to use it more but I'm having to store it about 45 minutes away b/c it won't fit in my apt. I'm 23 and a second year pharmacy student living in Charleston SC. I grew up freshwater bass and crappie fishing. I also have fly fished since I was a boy. I'm really wanting to learn about saltwater and flyfishing the salt. Appreciate all the info you guys post on here.

#10 MAXFISHER

MAXFISHER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

42--- Richmond Va. fished since I was kid, Zebco, Spinning and love to fly fish. Got a U12 a month ago, just so I could stand and sit comfortably. :D Just finshed decking out my boat-- fishfinder, rod holders etc... Couldn't do it right without this site. Here in Richmond lately nothing but rain, James is a little scary right now. The only city in the U.S. with class 3 rapids running threw it. When it settles down, call me, lets go fishing :D Big smallies, stripers and cats :) MAXFISHER 8)

#11 WeatherWill

WeatherWill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hello to all; my name is Will and my wife is Mary. Were both 52, but don't tell her I told you!! Woman thing!!!!! :( She teaches Kindergarten. I am retired from the Marines (22 years) and now I work Child Protection Service for Danville, VA. I was a weather forecaster in the Marines, hence my handle; WeatherWill. Mary and I also do foster care whenever we can help out. Taking a fourteen year old foster child paddling last year for his first time was most enjoyable. We have two sons; Matt-27 and Jake-23, who both are getting married within a month. SO, as you can see by our jobs and having two sons getting married soon, I look forward to fishing from my U12. Matt actually works on a NC catfish farm and lives on a 75 acre lake that is fun to paddle. I love most any outdoor activity; especially hunting and fishing and biking. Currently, I live to hunt with my Brittany any where we can go, especially in South Dakata, and to go fishing when it warms up. Fishing was slow until I got my U12, and a Manta Ray for Mary. We have enjoyed paddling for a year now; trying to find lakes/ponds that no motors or only small motors are allowed in. Mary and I will be going to Mississippi (do i have enough humps and crooknecks) with our church on a mission trip in July, so paddling may slow down this summer. Good Luck to all, Semper-Fi to my Corps brothers, will ps. This past Monday and Saturday I had my best two fishing and paddling days thus far; water was like glass and too many fish to count. The days we dream of! :D :D :D

#12 Tombo

Tombo

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

My intenet handle, Tombo actually came from my wife. We are fans of Tool Time tv show (Timbo) and when ever Donna needed a hand with something she would yell out "Tombo". Retired four years from Dow Chemical, LA. Living in Rockport Texas on Salt Lake. All it took for me to get an Ultimate is that great seat and ability to stand to fish and stretch. My other two kayaks gather dust.

#13 Etchemin

Etchemin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

Who I am When I purchased a U14.5 and took it for it's maiden voyage I actually broke a dixie cup of ginger ale on the bow as I chrisened it "Etchemin". It is an Algonquin Indian name meaning "Canoe man". My whole family now has kayaks! All have indian names. We have 10 in all. My Mother has a U12. Mom has COPD and requires oxygen, but still insists on kayaking with the family. I am awaiting for her trolling motor that we ordered from BassYaks. Mom is 73 years old and I am 42. We live just outside Hershey Pennsylvania. I am doing a lot of fishing in the Susquehanna River and doing well! I love my kayak and it is The Ultimate Kayak to me!

#14 Gene Walk

Gene Walk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

A Real Newbie Hello, my name is Gene, and I live in Imperial, MO just outside St. Louis. I have been trying to make up my mind on a kayak, and have definitely decided on an Ultimate, either a 12 or a 14.5 solo. I willl need a lot of help on this subject, so please be patient with me. I fish almost exclusively now in Missouri. Lake Taneycomo, Current River, White River, Jack's Fork, etc. I also do a lot of duck hunting so my boat will have to do double duty. I will be asking a lot of questions, and as I said earlier, please be patient and don't make too much fun of my lack of knowledge on this subjct. That said, I am now officially not a lurker!

#15 bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

Re: Who I am

When I purchased a U14.5 and took it for it's maiden voyage I actually broke a dixie cup of ginger ale on the bow as I chrisened it "Etchemin". It is an Algonquin Indian name meaning "Canoe man". My whole family now has kayaks! All have indian names. We have 10 in all. My Mother has a U12. Mom has COPD and requires oxygen, but still insists on kayaking with the family. I am awaiting for her trolling motor that we ordered from BassYaks. Mom is 73 years old and I am 42. We live just outside Hershey Pennsylvania. I am doing a lot of fishing in the Susquehanna River and doing well! I love my kayak and it is The Ultimate Kayak to me!

What a great idea. I am part(small) Potawatomi. I will try to find a suitable name for mine.

#16 flocoma

flocoma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

40, married to a great lady and have a 6yr. old girl. We all get in the Ultimate 14 and test the weight limit. Our little one gains weight as she grows, and we lose weight paddling.

I'm originally from Miami, FL, but now live in Cedar Falls, Iowa. I'm a fine art professor at the University of Northern Iowa where I make pictures and teach other folks how to make pictures.

http://www.uni.edu/artdept/dooley.html

I fly fish, spin fish, bait fish, carp fish, shark fish, redfish, star fish, etc., etc. Plenty of great rivers and streams in Iowa. Look forward to getting into the backwaters of the Mississippi around Prairie DuChien this year.

I make it back to FL twice a year, although my folks are in the middle of the state now. Will be around St. Augustine and Cedar Key this summer to paddle the Ultimate around and chase some tails.

#17 Siler

Siler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:41 AM

Hello.....another new member. My name is Michael Siler. And I don't actually own my Ultimate 12 yet. I pick it up in about three weeks. Can't wait. I enjoy the forum and will be posting here occasionally. Thanks to everyone on here for providing valuable information about the U-12 that helped me decide to get one.

#18 QuietwaterFilms

QuietwaterFilms

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:20 AM

one more cheesehead Hi all Jeff Bach here. I live in Stoughton, WI., about 15 miles south of Madison. I've got 42 years of road miles on me, a wife and three daughters and one small shoebox dog, thankfully NOT the yappy kind. I prefer to think of her as the "fit in the front hatch of a kayak" kind of dog. I spend my time in "new media", to use the generic term, and have been lucky enough to make three films on paddlesports. Our fourth one, inland waters kayak fishing, is all about fly fishing out of Native Watercraft kayaks. Looking for pictures of the 16 foot tandem Ultimate is what led to my discovery of this forum. I guess boats in one form or another are in my blood. I went to school out in Montana and during the summers out there, was lucky enough to spend three of them white water river guiding on a bunch of Oregon rivers and the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho. The rafts have long since been traded in for canoes and kayaks and small town Midwestern living. thanks for doing this forum Bones! Jeff Bach

#19 Chris

Chris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

Introduction Hello my name is Chris. I am a registered nurse and work as a nursing supervisor for a childrens' hospital in San Antonio. I bought my Ultimate 14.5 on july 3rd from a dealer in Boerne which is near Pipe creek where I live. I've had it out about 5x now and i really like it. I've had my 7 yr old daughter, my dog, and my ex-wife in the boat( not all at the same time)and they all like it too. I think its great that this forum exists,great for sharing information. Later............

#20 Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:06 PM

Hello, folks

I'm 61 years old, and still trying hard not to grow up. After a long career in advertising agencies in TN and SC, I'm now doing web and print design for the University of Tennessee (my old school) and thoroughly enjoying it.

I've always loved boating and fishing, but my new U12 is my first foray into paddle craft. Wow---what have I been missing?!

Here are some pics of my U12 and the stuff I've added to it (got to stop):
http://bakerdesign.com/kayak2/

I'm a bluegrass picker, archer, ham radio operator, hunter, cowboy shooter, holster maker, reloader, artist, beer brewer, and grandpa of 9 kids---a busy old feller!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users