Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Versa Board Stern Anchor

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

Since I mainly use the Versa on rivers I wanted to work out an anchor system that was a minimal rig and simple to operate. I'd considered the trolley system but there's not a whole lot of edge real estate to be able to run the line without it coming up over and onto the deck. I can live with the limitation of only being able to anchor with the bow down river and since most floats are down river anyways it's a small compromise. Hated to drill through the Fishing Good Here petroglyph but it was the best location for centering the 5 lb weight in the up position. The Scotty anchor lock works well for one hand operation. I've got the same setup on the stern of my Tegris so I know it'll work equally as well for river floats.

Attached File  IMG_1100.JPG   235.07KB   1 downloads Attached File  IMG_1101.JPG   308.21KB   1 downloads Attached File  IMG_1179.JPG   237.69KB   1 downloads

#2 toddregier

toddregier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

I like that idea. Do you get a lot of flex in the board when the weight is not deployed?

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

It's a rigid area where the mount is so there's no noticeable flex when the weight is up. Philip

#4 Bellybuster

Bellybuster

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:18 AM

that just works perfect doesn't it

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

that just works perfect doesn't it

Yes, as perfect as I need it to work.

#6 livelybaits

livelybaits

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

Nifty. Never installed anything for the VB for the anchor. I've just been clipping it to the bungee toward the stern. That's not quite good enough. When there's a little bit of "shop time" (probably at the next seminar), I'll figure out something. I like the idea of a trolley instead of something that's set to the stern but with so much of what I take people to do "stern anchoring", I'll consider it. A couple of differences: I use the 3# claw anchor AND I have The Wheel back there.

#7 moomtazz

moomtazz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

I really like this. It seems this would be the only thing you need on a versa board. If where you want to cast isn't in front of you then you just stand up and turn and cast wherever you want. I would think there is no need for an anchor trolley to point your board in the perfect direction like you do in a kayak.

#8 plskiracing

plskiracing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

does it work with the tagalong wheel?

#9 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

It does. I ended up putting the wheel back on to launch at an area where it was needed. You just need to tie the line around the dumbbell so the anchor line pulls from the center so it it's level when pulled up against the outside of the stern. -Philip

#10 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Versa Board stern anchor option #2 For a couple of reasons I decided to create another option for stern anchoring, mainly for swifter current in rivers. The Scotty anchor lock works well in slow moving water but lacks the safety of being able to easily let the line loose. This version gives you the ability to lay out more line at a longer angle as well as letting it all out if it becomes snagged. The components are a Scotty 327 Fender Ring at the stern as a line guide and a Harken 470 Micro Cam X-treme Fairlead and a flat section of aluminum bar stock. Bending the bar stock to follow the contour edge allows you to mount it with just the single bolt that it normally used to attach the deluxe seat adjustment strap. Using the Fender Ring the line needs to run through the hand hold so to minimize drag the wheel needs to be removed so your dumbbell anchor can tuck up into the void.

#11 nraycroft

nraycroft

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Great looking new rigging option for the stern anchor, Philip! I love those Harkens Fair Leads (I seem to test each one when at the retailer and have used one in the past (on a kayak I no longer have :-( ). Thanks for sharing another great idea...I'm going to consider something like this here in the next month or so when I "pull the trigger" on the new Versa Board. Only thing slowing me down is deciding which color! Nathan

#12 Catskill

Catskill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Love that setup, going to do the same on mine. Your Scotty 327 Fender Ring gave me an idea for an electric trolling motor mount. I'm wondering if I install two fender rings across from one-another using the existing Scotty Flush Mounts behind the set I may be able to slide a round bar thru them. I could mill one side flat to screw an aluminum plate on, like a transom plate to mount a Minn Kota. I'd need to counter weight the bar stock opposite the motor for balance. Thinking drill and tap the bar 1/2-13 and make a custom counter weight that screws on the end of the bar stock. Stick the battery in a milk crate behind the seat and go. I let ya know if it works with pictures.

#13 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

You might want to experiment with the locking version of the Scotty flush mounts. A counter balance may do the trick but the non-locking mounts will allow the rings to pop up with enough upward pressure. They won't come completely out, especially if you have two of them. I only know of one VB that was rigged with a motor but that was off the side mounted to the center groove track. Good luck and look forward to see what you come up wit.

#14 diajajr

diajajr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

NOG Admin - Do you mind sharing pictures of your "Versa Board stern anchor option #2" using the Scotty 327 Fender Ring at the stern as a line guide and a Harken 470 Micro Cam X-treme Fairlead and a flat section of aluminum bar stock? I am curious to understand how you pull the anchor line thru the fairlead. It seems you are pulling it from behind you then pushing the line forward into the cleat. I wonder if one could improve this concept using a couple stationary harken pulleys and looping forward of the fairlead so you can pull towards you? Thank you!

#15 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:44 AM

diaper, I'll see if I can find a photo of the fender ring setup, but not sure I have one. The Harken micro cam fairlead attached with aluminum bar stock is the 3rd picture in the original post.

The anchor line has no knot or float at the pull-thru end so it's just fed thru the fairlead gate. Once the line is thru  it is just pulled forward to raise the anchor. To deploy you grab the line and lift it to the top of the silver line guide, which allows free rearward run of the line outside of the pawls.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users