Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

River paddling issues

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mlilli33

mlilli33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

Hello All, I am a new native marvel owner and am thrilled with the comfort. What I am not thrilled with is my experience on a local river and wanted to see if anyone else uses these boats on rivers. I am beginning to feel that they were designed for lakes? I love the boat on smooth deeper water. However, when I get into the shallows with rocks, I feel incredibly top heavy and unstable. Even though the bottom is flat, it seems that the groove down the middle catches on rocks and jolts the entire kayak. I have been paddling old towns and confleunce kayaks for 8 years and never tipped in the local rivers and after one time floating in my marvel I had water pouring in the sides twice and nearly tipped several times. I feel lucky rather than in control when in shallow rocky currents. This is in a 10 ft marvel and I am wondering if i am just too big for it at 200 lbs. Anybody out there use these in rivers that inevitably bump along rocks during most floats and have any experiences with tippy/unstable feeling? Also, what can I expect for durability? This is the only kayak that I have been able to actually scratch up the poly material with my finger nail...seems like very soft plastic thanks

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

Re: River paddling issues The Marvel's hull is designed to do well in both flat and river environments. THe edges arre a good thing in that they add structural stiffness. I'm 190 lbs and have only paddled the 12, which is the shortest I would want to go but that's not to say definitively that the 10 is too small for you. The plastic is the same used by Liquid Logic for their white water kayaks so it'll take years of contact with rocks. I've never tried scratching it with a fingernail but am surprised you can make an impression. Philip

#3 mlilli33

mlilli33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

Re: River paddling issues Thanks for the info, but the edges are catching rocks; not water. Also, I am not trying to paddle white water, just shallow water in a mild current. If anyone else has any experience with a marvel on rivers that are typical of the appalacian mountains, I'd love to hear about it. I suspect that a 12 might displace the water better and coast throught shallow water a bit more smoothe. The only other person in our group that has trouble when bumbing rocks is a pungo paddler with a v hull that catches the rocks. It just seems to me everyone who enjoys native boats are on calm lakes and inlets. For that, I envy all of you :)

#4 Bellybuster

Bellybuster

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:43 AM

Re: River paddling issues if you can gouge your hull with a fingernail you either have really hard fingernails or a defective hull. I tried on my Magic and no way. I think what you are experiencing is the instability when your yak is balancing on top of a rock and is partially out of the water. When your yak rides up on a rock it is losing allot of its hull in the water which is where the stabilty comes from...displacement. I'm sure that great Native stability returns as soon as you are off the rock and back in water deep enuff for the hull. If you are always in ultra skinny water maybe you need a boat designed specifically for that, a pirogue style maybe??

#5 mlilli33

mlilli33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

Re: River paddling issues I have never heard of a pirogue. I am going to look into that for sure, a boat designed for shallow water would be great through our mid summer droughts that we seem to get a lot in recent years... I was wondering about the defective boat myself, it says "demo" on the back of it. I thought to myself maybe the demo boats are made for the showroom and not the water? Thanks for the input!

#6 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

Re: River paddling issues Demo or otherwise known as seconds indicates that the boat will have some type of imperfection, which usually is just a cosmetic flaw, scratch, wrong graphics etc., that keeps it from being able to be sold as a first quality boat but are perfectly suitable for water use. Structurally, seconds are no different that firsts. Most of my boats are demo. Philip

#7 mlilli33

mlilli33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

Re: River paddling issues Thanks Phillip, That is a comfort to hear.

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Re: River paddling issues You're more than welcome mlilli33. Look forward to seeing photos of some of your river adventures. Philip

#9 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Had my new Marvel 12 on the James River (Virginia) where it was very shallow with a lot of rocks and didn't have any trouble or take on any water. We even paddled about a mile up stream, fishing, and back down, and the next day did the opposite. Caught on a few rocks but no problem. Since my only other experience has been with my Tarpon 120 SOT, I was pleasantly surprised. Did have a problem with the seat which I will post separately.

#10 waterlove

waterlove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

works out a little better if you don't fill the hatch w/a case of beer plus ice....:P

#11 yakmang

yakmang

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

No problems for me on the rivers. In fact it does much better than the Old Town Voyager I have. Tracks well and covers some ground when you need to and does well in the shallows. I have overnighted in the Marvel 12 with great success.

#12 waterlove

waterlove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:24 AM

works out a little better if you don't fill the hatch w/a case of beer plus ice....:P

While we have not used the Marvel 10 on the river yet, we have been in plenty of shallows w/some current and LOTS of trees, stumps, huge rocks etc. just barely under the surface (as well a very deep water, wind and chop) and have not had these issues. As long as there's a few inches of water I can generally glide over just about anything and have never felt top-heavy or unstable. (maybe a heavier current-different story?)

After finding this post had quite a familiar ring.....I made the above comment mostly in fun when I realized we bought milli33's boat!

milli33 is a super nice guy but when reading about these issues and then about water pouring in over the sides, I also recalled him telling us how the hatch worked out great as above. (I also thanked him for so enthusiastically pointing out this wonderful beer carrying capacity feature to my just turned 18 yr old :rolleyes:)

In addition to the case of beer + ice in the hatch, he also mentioned a small cooler etc. so, I really am wondering if the extra weight could have been part of the problem. Also, remember that he was talking about a 10ft 250lb cap. Marvel, not a 12.

#13 seniorlady

seniorlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

I found out you can sink a 12 in the Gulf if a wave catches you coming in. Duh. Everything tied down except me and a 40 year old rod and reel. I was only in 3' of water so just stood up, sook it off, and turned the boat back over. A lesson learned the hard way but with only a lost rod and reel. Never a problem in the river though, yet.

#14 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Posted Image

Here is my daughter and all the pooches out in the pond in the 14 tandem. She decided to rock it from side to side to see which dog would stay in the longest. Believe it or not...the one on the front deck won! The rest thought it was safer to bail on her.

#15 marvel12

marvel12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

i just took my marvel 12 out yesterdayon its maiden voyage lol. it was a narrow shallow river with a heavy current and i had a lil trouble steering it but thats probly my lack of experience. i did catch some rocks and put a couple gouges in it but overall its an awesome boat floats nice handles beaver damns and small rapids pretty nice. id say get the 12 over a 10 for sure sits beautiful in the water

#16 WT Daigle

WT Daigle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

The seat frame in my Marvel cracked the bottom of the hull.  6" long.  How do I repair this leak?

#17 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

Some Paddlesports shops offer plastic welding repair, depending on the severity. If you're wanting to do it yourself there are a number of online instructional videos.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users