Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

foot brace flex in magic 12

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bellybuster

Bellybuster

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

hey all, I sure do like my new Magic 12. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing allot of flex in the foot braces. Mine is an '09 so the foot braces are bolted in. I find there is a whole lot of flex in the rails when any pressure at all is put on the braces. Seems like they need another fastener in the middle maybe. I may add a rivet in the middle if I can find some

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Re: foot brace flex in magic 12 My 12 yr old paddles it more than I do but yes, it does have some flex, especially during high temps. I've thought of trying a rivet but just never got around to it. One consideration is for it to be installed without impeding the footrest travel. On some of the rails is a countersunk hole which may work.

#3 grtsct

grtsct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

I also have alot of flex in the foot rests and have been thinking about purchasing some aluminum like Native uses for the plug and play and attach it to the slides of the footrails and then bolt both the aluminum strips and the footpedals to the kayak.

#4 nraycroft

nraycroft

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

I did the same as Philip mentioned with the foot rest rails on a Manta Ray 12 with rivets. Just make sure to countersink the head (if needed) to allow the foot rest to slide forward/backwards as designed. It really makes a big difference. Nathan

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

I also have alot of flex in the foot rests and have been thinking about purchasing some aluminum like Native uses for the plug and play and attach it to the slides of the footrails and then bolt both the aluminum strips and the footpedals to the kayak.

I am repairing my 2 Magic 14.5s that have the aluminum bar that you mention. Now I may be way off track here so Yak4fish or Upaddle 2 may want to jump in here and tell me I don't know what I am talking about, and I very well may not. At some point, Native decided not to put the aluminum on the foot brace area of the M12s. They kept on putting them in the M14.5s. Some of the 14.5s have issues with cracks developing in the hull where the aluminum bar that the foot brace is attached to meets the hull. I am going to do an article on repairing these cracks so stand by...the work will be done this next week but may not get posted for another week or so.
My GUESS is that the aluminum bar does not expand and contract the same as the plastic hull...so stress results and the weaker of the 2 materials cracks. This is my theory because I noticed that the Mariner has the plug and play sockets, but uses small individual pieces of aluminum to finish out the socket...not one long bar of aluminum. This would allow the hull to still expand and contract over a greater length than if it were all bound using rivets and aluminum bar.
So when I put my 2 boats back together, I may very well put one together using individual small pieces of aluminum and the other back stock. By the way...for you fishing guys, the aluminum rulers available at Lowe's and other hardware stores is the same width as the aluminum bar that Native uses. See where I'm going here? The rulers are a bit thinner but the key is the width so the plug and play clips will still work. Look for the Swanson model AE141.
My point...well it may not be in your best interest to add the aluminum bar if it isn't really needed. The plastic foot rail should expand about the same as the hull, so using more attachment points shouldn't create any problems. Just follow nraycroft's and yak4fish's advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users