Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Got another Marvel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Steve O.

Steve O.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

Well, I realize that I've been a member for a while now and haven't yet posted, but that is due mostly to the fact that I spend most of my time out of the country and away from my boat. However, I just added to our "stable" and am pretty stoked. I've had a Marvel 10 for about a year and a half now, and have been very happy with it. It's my first boat and did not disappoint, except... I generally carry 240 lbs on a 6'3" frame. Not fat by any stretch, but I do push the 250 lb capacity of the 10. To that end I've been looking for a Marvel 12 for about 6 months and had only found them for the MSRP of $899.00. Last month, while deployed to Iraq (to clarify, I'm retired from the Army and am now employed as a security contractor), I decided to look on Ebay and lo and behold, found a new '08 Marvel 12, in Olive (my preferred color) for a great price with free shipping from a dealer in California to RDU Airport in Raleigh, NC, an hour and a half drive from the house. This was a no-brainer, and after checking with my better half, went ahead and ordered it. I picked it up on Monday and got it in the water on Thursday. I love it. It tracks great, gets in close to shore amid the lily pads and water lilies (and on that day a huge heron that took off about 20 feet from me!), and moves right along while carrying my big ol' rear end. On Saturday, my Wife and I got out together (first time we could do that!) and had a great time. We look forward to many more outings together on the many lakes and rivers here in Eastern North Carolina.

#2 Yasukuni

Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

Re: Got another Marvel Thank God , another Marvel owner. I was starting to think that I was the only one. I have no idea why the Marvel seems to be the least popular boat in the Native lineup.

#3 Steve O.

Steve O.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

Re: Got another Marvel

Thank God , another Marvel owner. I was starting to think that I was the only one. I have no idea why the Marvel seems to be the least popular boat in the Native lineup.

You know, my .02 on that is that Native pretty much gears it's boats more toward the fisherman than any other group, and while the Marvel is a very stable boat, the anglers out there are more likely to be drawn to the open top, mega capacity and uber-stability of the Ultimate and other models for that pursuit. So I guess it makes sense that Marvel owners would be in the minority among those who buy Native boats. I don't do a whole lot of fishing, but I am all about a nice paddle without concerning myself with falling out of the boat :wink: , so the Marvel definitely fills the bill for me.

#4 Yasukuni

Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

Re: Got another Marvel You probably hit the nail on the head Steve. I bought my Ultimate two years ago as a stable fishing platform that I could handle myself. It was totally to my surprise how much water you could cover and how much fun I had just paddling. So now I have my Marvel for paddlin and my Ultimate for fishin. Gotta Love It. :) :) :)

#5 Upaddle2

Upaddle2

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Re: Got another Marvel I think you are correct in that Native is geared heavily towards the angler and sportsmen in mind, but we sell a heck of a lot of Marvel 10s and 12s. So while the anglers are drawn to the Ultimate series, many recreational paddlers certainly enjoy the comfort, stability and better efficiency of the Marvel series. I also think that possibly less rec boaters use resources like this forum, which is used heavily by more sportsmen than just your average recreational boater who doesn't fish. These paddlers are potentially concerned less about the rigging and set-up of customizing boats for other activities or there just lurking and not posting! :D

#6 Steve O.

Steve O.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

You probably hit the nail on the head Steve. I bought my Ultimate two years ago as a stable fishing platform that I could handle myself. It was totally to my surprise how much water you could cover and how much fun I had just paddling. So now I have my Marvel for paddlin and my Ultimate for fishin. Gotta Love It. :) :) :)

Sounds like the best of both worlds!

#7 Steve O.

Steve O.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

Re: Got another Marvel Here's a pic of my Wife and I out in our Marvels. We had a very nice day just meandering around Mott Lake on Ft Bragg. [attachment=0:2ai0o5l4]DSCN1939.JPG[/attachment:2ai0o5l4]

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Re: Got another Marvel Nice photo Steve!

#9 Yasukuni

Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:34 AM

Re: Got another Marvel Great shot. Finally got to take my Marvel out on Sunday for a somewhat extended (around 5 miles) paddle. The more I use this boat the more impressed I become. Got mine in Olive too. Super color.

#10 Steve O.

Steve O.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Re: Got another Marvel Thanks for the comments, fellas. It was a good time. 5 miles? Nice. We plan to hit the rivers around here soon...

#11 Littleberry

Littleberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

I'm a new member to this forum (this is my first post) and we're now considering a Marvel 12 purchase.
I have a Magic 12 that I bought used a few months ago. I couldn't be happier with that find.
[attachment=0:2xz9pqh8]nc_30598.jpg[/attachment:2xz9pqh8]
Herself has an older LiquidLogic Saluda 12 (sit-inside) that she really likes BUT ......
We went camping at Jordan Lake this weekend and she's now determined that she wants my seat. Not my boat mind you, she likes the sit-inside idea, she simply wants my seat. Understandable - as it's truly the best kayak seat I've ever sat my own seat on. But in spite of a 35 year marriage and all she's contributed to the success of that, she ain't gettin' mine.
So when we got home Monday afternoon, we began a web search and the Marvel 12 quickly rose to the head of her hit parade. It's gratifying to hear good comments on that boat from folks on this forum as there is little info elsewhere (including from the Native site) that actually "describes" the boat to laymen like us. I'm quite surprised to find such little information out there on what appears to be a really good boat.
We're only about an hour's drive from Greensboro so we may very well head on over to GetOutdoors and have them try to make us a deal.

But only after she gets to try out her own seat! :-)

#12 Yasukuni

Yasukuni

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

Re: Got another Marvel You're right there Littleberry, for some reason the Marvel seems to be the red haired stepchild of the Native family. Too bad, this boat is awesome. It seemed a little "funky" to me at first when compared to my Ultimate but like I've said the more I use it the happier I become. I'm sure that the Mrs. will love hers.

#13 marvel12

marvel12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

i just bought a marvel 12 "firebrick" i love it fast tracks great tho i think the river i was on the first trip might not be the best, kinda shallow fast when high but still rocky but it was fun! my question is does the foam in the nose come out or is it there for a reason its glued?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users